Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bedtime

So I just finished reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.  She had a lot of good tips, and I've used just a couple and we're already seeing improvement.  She mentions that babies usually get tired early and most need a 6:30 or 7 pm bedtime for optimal sleeping (C goes to sleep between 8:30 and 9:30 pm most of the time).

When I thought about it, C usually gets a little fussy around 6 or 7 pm.  Maybe he's tired and would go down then, before he got his second wind.  Makes sense, right?  Perhaps not.

Tonight I started his bedtime routine at 6:30 or 6:45.  He had a bath, jammies, we laid in bed to nurse, and relaxed.  I had the room dark, some relaxing music on, etc.  Nope, wasn't going to sleep.  I tried reading, and while he relaxed, still didn't fall asleep.  Then he decided it was playtime!  He was squirmy so I sat him up, and he was smiling and talking and cooing and being adorable.

Lo and behold, around 8:50 he starts to act tired.  I nursed him for less than 5 minutes, and he was out like a light around 9 pm.  Just another area where C doesn't fit into the "most babies" category.  I guess I can start bedtime early and have it last for 2 hours, or I can start it late and have it last 20 minutes.  Either way, C will go to sleep when he's good and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!! I'd love to hear what you have to say.