Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pizza Rolls!

As a kid, I always loved pizza rolls.  They're small, fun to eat, and of course, PIZZA!  It was a fun treat that we always looked forward to.  Now that I'm a mom and I have C's sensitive tummy to worry about, the preservatives and additives and frying that goes into the frozen pizza rolls just doesn't appeal to me as something I want to feed my kid.  I found a recipe for homemade, baked pizza rolls on Pinterest and was so excited!!  I made them and they were delicious, but the next time I went to make them, the recipe had disappeared!  I followed the same link, but the page was gone and I was sad.  Luckily, I worked off of memory and I think I got it right, so here you go!  These are so much healthier than the fried version, and I think they taste better, too!


Ingredients:



  • Turkey Pepperonis (20)
  • 1/2 cup marinara or pizza sauce
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/8 cup parmesan cheese (extra for garnish)
  • Olive oil


Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Chop up the pepperonis into little bits
  3. Mix pepperonis, cheeses, and sauce in a small bowl.  It shouldn't be too saucy or runny.
  4. Scoop a small amount (about a teaspoon?) of the mixture into the center of a wonton wrapper
  5. Dip your finger into water, and wet all four edges of the wrapper.  Place a second wrapper on top and press down, pushing out any air.  The water will help seal the wrappers together.
  6. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown (I always use foil when I'm baking because I'm lazy and don't like washing cookie sheets)
2

3

4

6

7

I actually ran out of wonton wrappers (I had less than half a package when I started), so I grabbed a can of biscuits I had in my fridge and put the extra filling inside, with the same olive oil and parm drizzle on top.  I over-browned them a little in the oven so next time I make them I'll shave off a couple minutes, but they were delicious!  Make sure you pinch the sides really well so goo doesn't ooze out :)




The delicious finished product:





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!! I'd love to hear what you have to say.