Thursday, March 22, 2012

Our foray into the world of juicing.

After watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix, the hubs and I immediately bought a juicer.  The documentary is quite persuasive, lol.   The fact of the matter is, we don't eat nearly enough fruits and vegetables, and when I buy a bunch of produce with all the good intentions of eating it, I end up throwing away all that money because the fruit spoils and the veggies shrivel and we never get them eaten.  I thought that juicing would be a great way to get all of those great vitamins and nutrients in my body (and in my kids' bodies!) in a delicious way.


My husband wanted to do a juice fast for 10 days, but I think he may be rethinking it (his job requires him to be alert and on his game, so a fast of any kind isn't the best idea).  I can't do a fast because I'm breastfeeding, but it's not an all-or-nothing thing.  A glass or two of juice a day, as breakfast or as an afternoon snack is still packing in a ton of fruits and veggies that I wouldn't otherwise eat while replacing a little bit of the sugar that abounds in my diet.

I've gotta say, I'm loving it so far!  We ordered this Breville juicer from Bed Bath and Beyond (the only place that seemed to have it in stock) and it is so cool.  It has 5 different speeds to use depending on what fruit or veggie you're juicing, and does a great job at getting juice.  The pitcher has a foam separator so you don't get froth mustaches, and the parts are dishwasher safe.  I just fill up the sink with hot soapy water while I'm juicing, then as soon as I'm done I disassemble the juicer and toss all the parts in.  I sit down, enjoy my delicious juice, then go back and get everything washed and rinsed.  It really doesn't take long at all.  Plus, if I used the dishwasher I'd have to wait until it was done to make more juice!!  We've been having to juice extra because C gulps it down and we end up not getting to drink any because he takes it all! lol.  He has no idea he's drinking something so healthy.  Spinach?  Broccoli? Cucumber?  No, just some delicious juice!

I've been browsing Pinterest and various blogs looking for juice recipes.  One that I'm sipping on right now is the Dreamsicle juice recipe that I found here.  So. delicious. This will be on my list of favorites, for sure.  I'm excited, as the weather warms and the produce section at the grocery store gets cheaper and more delicious, to use my juicer all the time.  I also plan on carbonating some water using my Soda Stream and making sparkling juices.  How delicious does that sound?  Yay :D


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!! I'd love to hear what you have to say.