Saturday, January 7, 2012

After the fact: Birth Story Part 2

There isn't much left to my story, but my last post was getting really long.  I didn't exactly get the peaceful, calm birth I envisioned during my natural birth classes, but I'm glad I did it and I'm proud of myself.  Honestly I didn't set out to have a natural birth because I wanted the experience, I did it in the hopes of having a quicker recovery and a healthier baby.  I have gotten both of those, so it was worth it.

As I mentioned in Part 1 of my story, I lost a lot of blood after Maeve arrived.  I guess that's just how my body works.  After everything was said and done, I was EXHAUSTED.  I felt like I couldn't carry on conversation, I just wanted to go to sleep.  We had visitors waiting to see us, and I told my husband they just had to wait until we were moved to the postpartum room because I didn't feel up to visitors.  My brain was fuzzy and I wanted to snuggle my baby and be left alone.

I really wanted to avoid getting a catheter because, well, who wants that?  The nurse told me that I had to pee if I didn't want one, so I had to try and go pee.  I totally felt steady and like I could make it to the bathroom.  I had the nurse on one arm, hubby on the other, and we were off.  Very slowly.  At the door to the bathroom I said, "wait, I'm dizzy."  The nurse asked me how dizzy and I said, "really dizzy."  Next thing I know, I'm on the floor waking up to the smell of rubbing alcohol.  At first, I was just mad because I was FINALLY sleeping after having been so exhausted and these jerks woke me up.  Then I realized I was on the floor.  The trip to the bathroom was cancelled, but my very nice nurse said she would load up the bed with pads and get me a bedpan and if I could manage to pee on my own, she wouldn't make me get a catheter.  It took me a while, but I managed.

I was weak and sore, but loads better than I was after I had C.  M is so alert and calm and has been eating like a champ since right from the start.  It's no wonder I was so uncomfortable and having trouble walking at the end, she is a big girl!! She's already too big for some of her newborn clothes, and we're moving right into 0-3 months.

We only had to spend once night in the hospital, as opposed to the 3 days we were there after C was born.  I can't believe how much better I feel this time; I'm still weak and have to take it slow, but I feel like a person.  We had to wait at least 24 hours so they could do M's newborn screenings, but once they were done we were discharged right away.  I was so happy to be in my own big, comfortable bed so soon.

C's meeting M for the first time was neat.  He smiled and cooed "hiiiii!" at her, then babbled something that sounded a lot like "sister" over and over.  When he realized that everyone in the room was looking at him, he totally forgot about M and just started dancing and showing off, lol.

We are adjusting well; we have a bunch of awesome family in town to help us out.  We're so blessed in the fact that the hubs has saved up enough time to take 6 weeks off of work to be at home with us and used to being a family of four.  I'm pretty scared about him going back to work and me being on my own, but I have plenty of time to prepare :)  I need to collect pictures from various cell phones and our camera and stuff, but I'll be posting more as I get them on the computer.  Here's a picture of C holding M in Auntie's lap today:

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!! I'd love to hear what you have to say.